Engineering Document and Data Management System
Engineering Asset Information Management system captures various discipline documents, metadata and drawings including vendor data books. The documents and data are prepared to be uploaded in bulk as a package that includes as load sheets, along with the document content files for loading the
- New Documents
- Document Attributes
- Document to Asset Relationships for Functional Locations
- Document to Asset Relationships for Equipment
Often Loading into the system is done in phases, before startup when all the final documentation is made available, and then after startup when final as-built documentation becomes available after review of all documents is done considering receiving final revision of the documents.
Based on local manufacturing site practices the vendor data books are split or retained as-is (e.g., PEI and Rotating Equipment).
Documents that are not uploaded to Engineering Data Management System (EDMS) are submitted for retention.
The goal of the process is to ensure required documents and data are integrated into Engineering Data Management System (EDMS) & Operational systems/tools to provide a basis for operational readiness and assurance.
The process for updating information is complex and must be specified such that protocols are laid out that clearly state answers to the basic questions of what, from/to whom and when.
These Information is required to be available based on information policies and Records Management (RM) policies, local site standards and guidelines plus Regulatory/EPA related requirements.
With the pressing need to have the information available and sheer growing database size causes performance and scalability issues. As database experts we at ENP Technologies identify the critical factors to resolve the most pressing issues and stabilize the environment to develop a sustainable solution.
The following critical factors are taken into account–
- What formats should information be handed over in i.e., soft, or hard copy, file types, etc.
- How information is to be used/ stored
- Quality & Completeness of information for handover (both quality assurance and quality control)
- Methods to be employed for handover of data (Tag and Equipment Information, Spare Parts information etc.) & documents
- Target Systems i.e., the systems required to be deployed or configured to support the new Asset
- Responsibilities – Parties responsible for the management, transfer and receipt of information handed over
- The timing of Information transfers
Data includes, but is not limited to, Engineering Design and Vendor data such as
- Master Document Register and transmittal data
- Tag register (master list of all tagged equipment with associated metadata)
- A complete list of tag physical connections
- A complete list of document relationships to Process Unit, Tag, and Purchase Orders
- A complete list of Purchase Orders to Tag references
- Company List (Manufacturers and Vendors)
- Spare parts lists
Tag register includes, but not limited to, the tags from the following lists
- Major Equipment List
- Electrical Equipment List
- Line List
- Specialty Items List
- Instrument Index including Fire and Gas instruments
- Cable Schedule including instrument cables
Technical documents include, but not limited to, the following
- Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams
- Plot and Area Plans
- Underground Plans
- Piling Plans and Details
- Foundation Plans and Details
- Structural Plans and Details
- Piping Isometrics
- Wiring Diagrams (both Instrumentation and Electrical)
- Single Line Diagrams
- Electrical Area Classification
- Loop Diagrams
- Cause and Effect Diagrams
Additionally a lot of data in the engineering, gets captured in the form of As-Built or redline diagrams. These are mostly in paper drawings & documents. We convert those into soft copies/ digital format and bulk upload to the required systems/ applications.
These are common across both brownfield and greenfield projects. This framework, process and related tools are utilized across Industries. It is common for most of the manufacturing plants, Refineries, chemical plants, Upstream processing units and terminals. The value lies in timely intervention in these projects to avoid rework, operational regrets, pre & post startup activities. Contact Us as the requirement varies for each asset, there is tremendous benefits for successful completion.